Monday, May 2, 2016

Wide World of Comics



For the week, I read many of the Blacksad graphic novels. However, since I'm taking the cartoonist track, I found it unfeasible to re-create the style (Disney quality style + watercolors). So I chose to recreate the much more feasible Persepolis style instead.

I've read Marjane Satrapi's graphic novels various times and always enjoyed her flat yet simple style. Her drawings are very graphic and simple which complement the simple and honest storytelling Satrapi uses to tell the story of her life.

I wanted to recreate her very "slice of life" sort of stories while trying to match her tendency to make certain panels very flat and sometimes floaty. The bottom panel, where the character is laying on the floor which is covered in school materials, is somewhat inspired by the panel where Marjane, as a young child renounces god and is left alone in a  floating void. Simple character designs are another thing I applied to this comic since Persepolis uses very subtle uses of lines to create an accurate depiction of real life people (for example, how Marjane as an adult in the comic always has a beauty mark, or characters with light eyes always have a ring around their pupils)

No comments:

Post a Comment